We’re very pleased announce that Rob Nolan has joined Marsden Jacob Associates, based out of our Melbourne office.
Rob is well-known and respected across Victoria’s water and energy regulatory and policy sectors. He joins us after almost eight years with South East Water, where he was most recently Group Manager of Planning and Regulation. Previously Rob was an Assistant Director at the Australian Energy Regulator, and held economic and policy advisor roles at the Essential Services Commission and the Victorian Department of Premier and Cabinet.
Rob brings leading industry expertise in economic regulation, government policy and strategic business planning in the water and energy sectors. This has included providing strategic economic advice to support the development of key business and pricing strategies, plus significant experience working with Boards and senior executives. Achievements include:
- Leading the development and delivery of pricing strategies, including South East Water’s 2013 and 2018 price submissions to the Essential Services Commission. South East Water’s 2018 price submission, delivered under the new PREMO framework, received a fast-tracked draft decision from the Essential Services Commission with no changes to the submission proposals. This required:
- Development of customer outcomes and performance measures that South East Water will commit to delivering for customers to increase customer value over the next 5 years, as well as ensured they met ESC expectations under its revised pricing framework
- Development of robust demand and expenditure forecasts, review and modeling of tariff structures and prices, taking into account customer preferences and customer impacts
- Preparation of the high quality written submissions to the ESC to justify the basis of South East Water’s pricing strategies
- Effective engagement with senior executive and South East Water’s Board to ensure they understood and were well informed of key pricing strategies
- Effective management of South East Water’s relationship with key stakeholders, including the Essential Services Commission, customer representative groups and the State Government
- Managing elements of price reviews in the energy and water sectors. This has included: (1) reviews of capital expenditure and demand forecasts of the Victorian electricity distribution regulatory proposals for the 2011-2015 regulatory period, (2) quantitative reviews of electricity expenditure and demand forecasts to test against requirements of the National Electricity Rules ( 3) assessing ring fencing provisions in access regimes for water and sewerage services (4) reviewing the regulatory accounting code for Victorian water businesses
- Leading the development of South East Water’s corporate strategy and annual business plans to the shareholder
- Leading submissions to the Essential Services Commission and the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning on the review of the pricing and regulatory frameworks in Victoria
- Leading and contributing to economic cost-benefit analyses for a number of major water and energy project business cases, and ensuring economic principles were being applied appropriately
We’re looking forward to Rob’s capacity, industry knowledge, networks and experience benefitting our practice and clients. Rob’s appointment continues to expand the depth and breadth of our regulatory economics and policy team. We’re pleased to now have one most experienced dedicated regulatory economics and policy teams in Australia across the water, energy, waste, and transport sectors.
Rob can be contacted in our Melbourne office (03) 9882 1600 and at firstname.lastname@example.org