Marsden Jacob Associates, along with Norton Rose and Transformation Legal services, have been appointed to assist the WA Department of Mines and Petroleum (DMP) in a review of key portfolio legislation to assess the appropriateness of the structure, type and level of penalties included. In this role Marsden Jacob Associates will prepare a discussion paper for DMP on statutory penalties. The discussion paper will incorporate knowledge gained through the review and set out a range of matters for comment by the public and key stakeholders.
It is expected the discussion paper will consider:
1. the philosophy and effectiveness of penalties;
2. guiding principles of compliance and DMP’s objectives;
3. consistency of offence provisions in legislation administered by DMP;
4. innovation, deterrence and leading practice; and
5. other innovative approaches and practices to compliance.
For more information, please contact Alex Marsden in our Perth Office (Ph: 08 9324 1785).