The Mining Rehabilitation Fund (MRF) Act, 2012
Marsden Jacob Associates has been engaged by the Department of Mines Industry Regulation and Safety to undertake a public consultation and Statutory Review of the Mining Rehabilitation Fund Act, 2012.
The Mining Rehabilitation Fund Act, 2012 commenced in November 2012 and the Act allows for:
- the establishment of the Mining Rehabilitation Fund;
- the declaration of abandoned mine sites; and
- a levy payable in respect of mining authorisations, and for related purposes.
Section 38 of the Act requires that after 10 years, the Minister review of the operation and effectiveness of the Act and prepare a report for Parliament.
The Statutory Review
Marsden Jacob will undertake the statutory review on behalf of the Minister.
Our project will align with the Western Australian Guidelines for reviewing legislation. We will conduct the review using the following methods:
- Interviewing key internal staff
- Interviewing key stakeholders
- Viewing relevant records
- Modelling of fund values and likely costs
- Consideration of other policy & legislative approaches
Overview of our Consultation
We will approach industry and key stakeholder groups to undertake a questionnaire to gather insights and input on three main areas:
- Do you think the MRF Act objectives and purpose remain relevant today?
Would any changes improve the Act’s clarity?
- Do you think the MRF Act is effective in achieving its purpose? (Noting the purpose of the Act provided on the previous slide).
- Has the MRF Act & supporting legislation been operated effectively over the last 10 years?
Are there any changes which would improve its effectiveness in the future?
How to contribute
All stakeholders are invited to make a submission on the consultation. The suggested questionnaire is available here.
Slides that we will present at briefings with stakeholders are available via email.
If you are interested in a consultation briefing or to receive the slides, please email the Marsden Jacob team, MRFreview@marsdenjacob.com.au
For more information on this project or the consultation, please contact Alex Marsden at Marsden Jacob Associates, 0406 763 198, email@example.com.